Common cold facts
- The common cold is an upper respiratory tract infection caused by many different viruses.
- The common cold is transmitted by virus-infected airborne droplets or by direct contact with infected secretions.
- Symptoms of the common cold include
- Being in cold weather does not cause the common cold, but cold weather promotes close contact.
- Over-the-counter medications may be used for treatment of the common cold.
- Antibiotics are not necessary for the common cold.
- The common cold is a self-limited disease that can generally be managed at home.
- The common cold has no cure, and there is no available vaccine.